Mission Street above downtown Santa Cruz is one block north of the Adobe on Green Street and is a wonderful place to see grand Victorian homes.
207 Mission: A magnificent Stick Eastlake mansion built for Calvin W. Davis in 1883-86 and designed by his brother, Charles Wellington Davis. The three and a half story tower with tiny dormers in the mansard roof makes this home unusual. The interior ceilings are painted with trompe l'oeil designs. The gold exterior paint scheme was new in 2005.
210 Mission: A 1895 Stick Style home with unusual timbered detailing on the forward gable.
211 Mission: Designed by Calvin Davis and J.S. McPheters in 1886, this vernacular style home was built as the parsonage for the Methodist Church that was once next door.
222 Mission: A Gothic Revival home built in 1867 for merchant Louis Schwartz. The home has a lovely pediment window in the front gable and distinctive barge boards on all the eaves. Schwartz also built the homes at 214 and 218.
217 Mission: A Queen Anne Victorian with Colonial Revival touches designed by Edward Van Cleek in 1904 for Louis Wessendorf. This house sits on the site of the original First Methodist Church building. That structure was moved one block away and was converted and to a home that still stands at 123 Green Street (shown below).
123 Green Street: This lovely building began life in 1850 as the Methodist Episcopal Church up on Mission Street. In 1863 the church built a new building. One year later this building was purchased by William Woolsey Reynolds who moved it to its present site on Green Street. Up at the corner of Green St. and Mission St. there is a dark blue California State historical plaque marking the original site of this early church building. This lovely Victorian is our next door neighbor.
105 Sylvar: On the corner of Sylvar and Mission, this 1887 Stick Eastlake home has a two story veranda that was added to the home around 1907. Built for Henry Wiley for $5,000. Wiley lived in the home until 1926. In the 1940's and 50's the Wiley House was a convent for nuns from Holy Cross School up the block.